Monday, July 29, 2013

Review: Losing Hope by Colleen Hoover





Where to even start about this book?  I finished it a few days ago and my thoughts are still all over the place.  I guess I'll start in the beginning.  Colleen Hoover has made me question everything I've ever believed about books that are a retelling in a different POV.  Until now, I've just sort of thought of them as a gimmick, or at times, even a cheap ploy to grasp on to readers (and before anybody gets offended, it was my opinion of the CONCEPT, not of a particular author or story) -- but maybe I need to rethink my generalization.  Because holy cow, Holder's POV of this story added an entire new level of depth and emotion that blew me away.

(In case you haven't read Hopeless, don't worry.  I'm not going to give away any plot twists or spoilers.  But definitely make sure you read it.)

This book was not just a retelling of Hopeless.  It answered questions I had as a reader.  It filled in gaps that were inevitable reading from Hope's POV.  It made me love Holder even more than I did before and you should have seen my flails when I was reading the first book.  Hello, book boyfriend.Holder in the first book was swoony.  But Holder exposed like he is in this book...




Not only do we get to hear his thoughts, but we also see more interaction with his friends and, most importantly, we gain more insight into his relationship with his sister -- and how this affects his relationship and deep connection with Hope.

I haven't had the opportunity to read as much as I'd planned over the summer because of various real life interferences, but from the moment I started this book, I couldn't put it down.  And I already want to reread the series again.

Some books just make you FEEL...this is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment