Monday, December 9, 2013

Review: Season of Second Chances by Brighton Walsh


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18779512-season-of-second-chances?ac=1

From Goodreads:

When a storm strands Claire Hanlin in Chicago on Christmas Eve, the last person she expects to come to her rescue is Logan Dawes, the man she almost married two years ago. The chemistry between them is dangerously potent, but with nowhere else to go, Claire accepts Logan's offer to stay with him for the night.

Back in the home they shared, surrounded by reminders of Logan and his young daughter, Claire begins to realize how much she misses the family she almost had. After a few cups of Christmas cheer, she falls right back into her ex's arms-even though she knows it means setting herself up for heartbreak all over again.

The magic of the season has thrown him together with the woman he's never stopped loving, and Logan's not about to pass up this gift. He's not the workaholic he was two years ago-his family comes first. Now all he has to do is prove it to Claire, before the snow stops and she flies out of his life for good.


My rating:  5 stars

I don't know what it is about this blog that makes me spill my guts, but I have another confession to make -- instead of being in the holiday spirit, I have been a bit more of a Grinch.  A Scrooge.  The grumpy foreman elf on the Rudolph Christmas Special.  Bah.  Humbug.   

But acknowledging a problem is the first step, so when I heard about this Contemporary Romance novella from Brighton Walsh, I jumped on the chance to read it.  I reviewed her Plus One a few months ago, and I absolutely love the way she tells a story.

That, and I'm really really excited for her.

So combine all of that with the fact that Season of Second Chances a holiday-centric story and reading this novella was an obvious choice.

And I loved it.

This is a story about, well...fate and second chances.  This wasn't a boy calling a girl up and asking for forgiveness.  Or an unavoidable run-in because of mutual friends.  This was a snowstorm and two canceled flights - neither one of which could Claire or Logan had any control over.  Maybe it is a little bit of the romantic in me coming out, but I am a huge believer in signs.

You don't fight fate.  Because you will lose every time.

Especially when fate brings you Logan.  Gah. 


Brighton Walsh knows her way around good swoon and she does not disappoint with Logan.  Typically I am not one to get all doe-eyed about a doting single dad, but there was something about this one that made me rethink my choices.  Just looking at a bottle of nail polish makes me all fluttery because omg, the cuteness!

I think what I loved most about this novella...besides Logan...was the way the characters all seemed to make sense.  They worked with each other.  The relationships were believable and there was no crazy drama that distracted from the intended path of this story.  This story could happen.

And by the time I finished it, I felt like this:


If you're looking for a fun, sweet, swoony read that will make sure to leave you with a serious case of the warm and fuzzies, I can't recommend Season of Second Chances enough.  You can thank me later.  



No comments:

Post a Comment