Monday, August 19, 2013

Review: Covet by Tracey Garvis Graves

If you follow me on Goodreads, you would have seen that I finished this book last week and gave it "ALL THE STARS I CAN GIVE".  I wasn't kidding.

I've been sitting on this review for a week now because I was convinced that anything I could possibly put in this space would only lead to massive embarrassment because of my inability to convert my thoughts about this book into words.  I mean, how in the world am I supposed to do it justice?

It is no secret that I loved the two other works I've read by this author - On the Island and the follow up novella, Uncharted, so Covet has been on my radar since I first heard that it was in the works.  Then came the magical day when I saw it on Netgalley and when I got the email saying I was approved...let me just put it this way:

Covet is Claire's story.  And Chris's story.  And Daniel's.  It is the story of how appearances aren't always what they seem.  We pick up after Claire and Chris have been married for several years, have two children, and after Chris has recently been hired after being unemployed for a year.

"We're the Cantons.  Sun-kissed, all-American, picture-perfect.  By all appearances, we're the ideal suburban family.  As long as you don't look too closely."

On the outside, things look great.  But with Chris's new job that requires traveling five days a week, not to mention the stress of being unemployed for a year and all the stresses that come along with that, life in the Canton household is far from perfect.

Claire does everything she can to keep the hopes and emotions of her family buoyed - but that comes at a cost.  With her husband gone so often, she gets the leftovers - the scraps - of what little is left of his time after the ridiculous demands of his boss and after he spends time with his his kids.  "As he should" she says.  But after all that - simply put - Claire is lonely.

Enter Daniel. 

Now, this story is not what you think.  It is not a story of adultery or betrayal.  It is a story of loneliness and devotion and vulnerability and faith.  It is a story of friendship and love and connections between people.  It is a story of clinging to whatever you have to to cope and survive.

Covet is written from three different points of view - Claire, Chris and Daniel.  We get glimpses into their past, into their present, and not only into their lives, but the lives of their friends and neighbors.  Glimpses that go beyond the outer layers until you see just how vulnerable these characters are, no matter how things appear from a distance.  I was pulling for Claire and Chris.  I loved the friendship between Claire and Daniel - is it even possible for a man and a woman to be just friends?

And when tough decisions had to be made, I felt the heartbreak.  But beyond that heartbreak, I also found hope.  And faith.  And my heart was completely full of FEELS! 




This book blew me away.  From the very first page until the very last word, I couldn't put it down and Tracey Garvis Graves secured her spot at the very top of my "I'll read anything and everything they ever write" list.  I didn't eat.  I stayed up way too late.  I even went ahead and pre-ordered it because just having it on my Kindle isn't enough.  I need to hold it and love it and read it over and over and over again.

Simply put, books like this one are why I read.  

.  
 Thank you to Netgalley for the opportunity to read an advanced copy of Covet.
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the lovely review and especially for the NetGalley tip! I've just requested it and am waiting to see if I get approved.

    ReplyDelete