Thursday, May 16, 2013

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes


From Goodreads:

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.
What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.
Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.
What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.


One of my favorite things is when an author writes a story that slams into my soul.  When I read a book thinking I know what I'm going to find and instead, I'm absolutely blindsided.  That's what happened with this book.  Jojo Moyes takes a tough topic and turns it into an incredible love story -- not a romance, but a love story.   

On Tuesday, I listed this book in my Top Ten Books Dealing With Difficult Subjects -- quite honestly, I feel pretty confident saying it is my favorite book of 2013 and in my Top Ten period. (And Katy, when you told me you bought this book yesterday, it was all I could do to not jump up and down and fist-pump!)

It is a story about love and life and life and love.  A story of family and devotion.  A story of difficult choices and taking chances and keeping promises.  It is funny and sweet and though provoking and omg, why don't you just rip my heart out and stomp on it while you're at it.   

My husband was home for lunch when I finished reading it and upon hearing me sobbing in my chair, he shook his head and said "why do you do this to yourself?"

BECAUSE!!!!!



I fell in love with Lou and her passion for living even before she realized she had it.  I fell in love with Will for seeing Lou's potential and for shoving it in her face.  I want to wear striped tights and go to Paris and wear red dresses.  So much can take place in six months, never stop taking advantage.

“The thing about being catapulted into a whole new life--or at least, shoved up so hard against someone else's life that you might as well have your face pressed against their window--is that it forces you to rethink your idea of who you are. Or how you might seem to other people.”

And when perfect endings are perfect, what more can I say besides read it -- and then let me know what you think.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment